As described by Google, Google Cloud Bigtable is a fully managed, scalable NoSQL database service for large analytical and operational workloads. In fact, Cloud Bigtable is the same database that powers Google Search, Gmail, and Analytics. It is setup to:
- Handle requests and big data quickly
- Scale with your organization’s growth
- leverage with machine learning applications
- Integrate with other Google Cloud services
While its competitors include products like Amazon DynamoDB and MongoDB, companies choose Bigtable for several reasons.
Not only does it integrate with Google Cloud tools, but it also easily integrates with big data tools like Hadoop, Dataflow, and Dataproc. Its performance is unmatched, and it is typically acquired at a lower cost than competitors.
Twitter and Cloud Bigtable
One specific use case can be seen with Twitter, a well-known social media platform that has grown rapidly, leading to the need to capture a large amount of data. They were initially using Hadoop file systems to store their data across thousands of different servers.
In 2018, they began to use Google Cloud products and were able to use Bigtable as a step in their process to successfully capture increasing high amounts of data. Using Cloud Bigtable along with BigQuery allowed Twitter to significantly decrease latency.
Let us Help
- Working directly with Google by contributing to development, documentation, and code samples for Google Cloud products
- Determining the right technology solution for your needs
- Using Google Cloud Spanner and other Google products to save you time